You’re a business owner. You're on a journey. You work hard to keep turning up, every day. You try hard to keep yourself pointed in the right direction.
Some days there are more obstacles than others. Some days you’re thrown off track. Some days you might even run out of fuel. And, on that journey, where do you bounce things around with fellow business owners? With other people who, like you, are in the trenches every day?
I’m not talking about “coffee shop” chats. I’m not talking about those networking meetings where you’re trying to sell to people who are trying to sell to you. I’m not talking about those meetings where you’re looking to work the room – where you’re seeking chances to deliver your elevator pitch.
No. What I’m talking about real talk, honest talk, vulnerable talk, about real issues.Do you have that outlet?
If you want to be able to ask questions of others on a similar journey, if you see the benefit of being held truly accountable for doing what you say you’re going to do, if you want camaraderie, and if you want to get practical, informed new ideas on what to do differently and better, then you may want to consider joining my mastermind group.
Let me check one thing though before I go any further: Do you know what a mastermind group is? If not, then this definition from Napoleon Hill is a good place to start:
“The coordination of knowledge and effort of two or more people, who work toward a definite purpose, in the spirit of harmony.”
Mastermind groups are organised in many different ways – so let me tell you about mine to see if it’s a good fit for what you’re looking for. Here’s the “housekeeping” piece:
- We meet in-person.
- The location is here in Kilkenny, Ireland.
- We meet monthly.
- The max number per group is 6. (That may change over time – but for now 6 is the ceiling.)
- I’m the facilitator.
- The coffee & tea is on tap and on me.
But let’s look beyond the housekeeping. This mastermind is not a talking shop. Its focus? Action and implementation. And the focus on implementation is relentless. The reason is simple. You already know a lot. It’s more doing that you need, not more knowing. We’re about closing the gap between your knowing and your doing. But we’ll remember too that achievement is more important than activity – so we’ll also focus on ensuring the things you do are the right things. Its ultimate purpose? To help all members grow and improve their business in a proactive, mutually supportive, safe and confidential environment. In return for your investment of time and money your benefits will include:
- Accountability – you’ll be telling the group what your goals are – and then updating us on progress (or lack thereof) towards reaching them. Besides the benefit of saying what you’re going to do to someone else, you’re going to want to avoid being the only person who hasn’t reached their goals. (Of course special circumstances happen to upset plans – but they’ll need to be special!)
- Mutual support – your fellow members will want to actively support you – both because of the types of people they’ll be and also because they’ll be motivated to gain the same benefit. You are not alone in your entrepreneurial journey.
- Challenge from a variety of perspectives – all members will be motivated and well able to speak up to help their fellow-members. No shrinking violets allowed! Everyone will have questions and opinions, judiciously and genuinely offered – and offered solely for your benefit. You won’t be talking to people who just nod approvingly at everything you say – that would be of at best zero use to you. It could actually be counter-productive because imagine if they’re suppressing what they really feel – and correspondingly giving you a false positive. As Obama said to journalists at his final press conference as President: “You’re not supposed to be sycophants, you’re supposed to be skeptics, you’re supposed to ask me tough questions."
- Confidentiality – what’s said in the room stays in the room. It’s critical that this be a safe environment. If this is contravened then you’re out. For good.
- Private email discussion group to let members bounce things around outside of meetings. I’ll be active in that discussion group. I’ve been in groups myself where the person taking the money doesn’t participate enough. I promise you that will not happen.
- Confidantes: Your fellow-members are going to become, over time, trusted confidantes. Collaboration outside meetings, growing your network to include fellow members’ networks and potentially doing business with fellow members and their networks may happen – but these are potential benefits rather than a goal of the group.
- Goals review: I'll review the goals you set yourself. E.g., I'll run them through the SMART filter. Note though that you'll have to give them to me before I can do that!
- Weekly check-in: [Premium]We'll check in weekly (max 15 minutes on phone or alternatively via email) on how you've done on your goals for the past week and what your goals are for the upcoming week. I'll be asking you how you're doing - and whether there's anything you want to bounce around with me or get a bit of direction on.
If you’ve read this far then you’re potentially interested. And you’re maybe wondering what next? That next step is to apply to join. Typically when you decide you want something, and you can afford it, and you know a supplier, then you’d think that it’s just a question of buying it. But that’s not the case here. And the reason is important. Quality is far more important than quantity. I’ve zero interest in just taking your money and giving you a slot. Surprised? Let me explain. It’s simple really. For you to be able to join, I need to be confident of two very important things:
- I need to be confident that you’ll benefit from the group. And that in turn depends on the mix of who’s in it.
- I need to be confident that you’ll add to the group. Ever hear the phrase: “The total is greater than the sum of the individual parts”? Enough said.
By the way, numbers are strictly controlled too. If you want to join and we’re at capacity then you’ll go on a waiting list until someone leaves OR you’ll be first in line when I start the next additional group. So – what do you think? Wondering what the commitment is?
None. Cancel at any time!
Wondering how to apply?
Book a free 15-minute slot directly in my calendar for us to talk. That will help us both determine if it's right for you and if you're a good fit.